We were up early again today. We have a full day ahead of us. We checked into the Natl Park Services to take the ferry over to Cumberland Island. We were able to get on “The Land and Legacies Van Tour”. Mike is our driver/tour guide. The tour was fantastic and that’s because Mike was our tour guide. He is so knowledgeable and has lived here for decades so has actually met and experienced different people and events. This tour is about 6 hours long and takes us 16 miles up to the top part of the island. After the tour we were done and headed home. If you want a detailed description of our day keep reading.
The shuttle boat dropped us at the Sea Camp Station. We caught the tour there and boarded the van. We headed up the island for 16 miles. Throughout the tour we saw probably over 50 wild horses. There are approximately 150 on the island. We also saw a few wild turkeys with babies. We went past the Stafford Mansion and continued on to Plum Orchard. Mike gave us a great tour and history of Plum Orchard and the 26k sq ft starter home mansion built in 1898. We had lunch overlooking the mansion and then continued on to The Settlement area.
This is where slaves built a settlement of houses and a church which they owned. The church was the First African Baptist Church. This church is where JFK JR. got married. Carol the Wild Woman of Cumberland still lives here. She is 75 years old now and doesn’t like outsiders. We have time, so we headed back and to Dungeness Ruins. This was once Miss Lucy Carnegie’s home. It was 4 stories and 57k sq ft and built in 1 year in 1886. We had a great tour and tour guide Mike. We caught the shuttle boat back to St. Mary’s and headed home.